Thursday, November 1, 2012

Vegan Muffins and a Telethon?

Sandy left a mess behind her. The repair and clean up crews have done an amazing amount of work in very little time, but there is still so much left to do. I have friends both in and out of the city still without power. Yet New York City soldiers on. All of the workaholics seem to congregate here. Hence storm damage is no obstacle. Instead, I'll walk two hours to where I need to be. The city is picking itself up by it's bootstraps in the weirdest way possible:by pretending nothing is wrong. I'm used to Hurricanes and their destruction. Tropical Storm Allison taught me long ago that the cat of a hurricane can often mean nothing. Houstonians asses the situation, head back in, and clean it up as best they can. The city kids respond differently. Theywalk miles to go the gym, a coffee shop, or work. Like the whole thing never happened and this is just another subway delay, not a complete shutdown south of 34th St. New York City and it's people don't know how to stand back and wait. They have to take action. Generally vegan muffin and soy fair trade latter action. As I'm often reminded by the wealthy here, money doesn't buy common sense.
I tried to get to work today. NJT is running buses again. Delays are nuts and buses are overcrowded. After a forty minute wait in the cold, I gave up and headed back home. God only knows how long it would have taken me to get home after work. I've been cleaning and packing my apartment up for my subletter. I feel like a rat escaping the Titanic on a lifeboat headed to Sacramento. Blame the Catholic guilt of old for my guilt at leaving when everything is a mess. CASH has been downgraded from a production to a workshop, but it doesn't change my contract in any negative ways. Especially right now, I feel blessed to have somewhere to go and work for a regulated salary. I'm trying to head south tom with my car. Let's see if I can get it back to TX, and then hit a few post storm auditions here before I escape to CA. (This post is my one mopey and honest post about Sandy. I don't believe in wallowing and will be back to cracking jokes next time I post.) Now the important question: who else thought of Jack's telethon stunt on 30 Rock when NBC announced their telethon for Sandy?

No comments:

Post a Comment