Sunday, June 2, 2013

The GTT Decision

It's been a rough start for 2013. With all that has gone done, I've sat down and done some major thinking about what is important to me, and I've come to a big decision. When Oliver! is over and my lease is up, I will be heading back to Texas. Being close to my family is much more important to me than I thought, and being so far away made all of the deaths and illness that the past two years have brought much more difficult. Also, I am tired of being poor. I love when I'm working, but when I'm not working, I'm miserable. I have 6 part time jobs and will end up working maybe two days a week. I worry about money to the point that I can't sleep. And the jobs I do have in between shows are exhausting and demeaning. There's only so much of that I can take! The state of the theatre is rocky right now. The middle ground is lost. Tours go out non equity and SETA instead of production, so there is no storing the nuts away for the winter of the next unemployment. Casts are small and many regional theatres are closing their doors. I know if I stuck it around, eventually the right show and the right team would come along and I'd have that Broadway credit (after much more regional theatre-ing). I'm just not patient enough to wait for it and wait tables until it comes. Broadway and most of what plays on it nowadays doesn't interest me. My voice, physical type, and dancing style are all not in vogue right now. I need another ten years on before I can play most character roles that suit my voice, so I'm heading back to Houston, looking to get a full time theatre teaching position and continue theatre in Houston's thriving store front scene. So Houston friends and theatre folk- I'm coming back! Let me know if you have anything for me (throwing it out there. I've done worse, annoying, self promoting things in New York!) I wouldn't take my foray into New York back for anything. It's been a blast, and I've worked with some amazing people and made some awesome new friends! The boots aren't done traveling. They are just two stepping and available for summers! And to my roomie, who left yesterday to start a new job and get married in San Antonio, thanks for everything. Go rock at life! (And I should be able to make your wedding now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment