Sunday, October 2, 2011

I'm Sitting in Starbucks Right Now :-)

In some ways, shows like "So You Think Dance?" a great for dance. It's exposure for both dancers and choreographers to a huge audience. But it's also become a bit of monster. Styles got smooshed over and turned into a SYTYCD?/dance team mush. Different styles should be danced differently. You should try and fit both the choreographer and the character. I firmly believe this as both a chroeographer and dancer, and this smooshing of styles into one boring clumo is not cool.
I auditioned for a theatre in New Hampshire bright and early this morning. We were Hotboxing it up long before actual Hotbox girls would actually be up. Everyone from the theatre was super nice. The director/choreographer taught a combo to "Bushel and a Peck."
He kept telling us showgirls, but it was very "So You Think You Can Dance?"esque. If there is one thing in my being, my teeny 5 foot 4 self is a showgirl at heart. A tall, leggy lady that would totally rock Vegas. So here was the question, SYTYCD it, or keep it showgirl and period.
I'm anal retentive. I went period and had a grand old time. They kept dance team. It makes me wonder if I should change what I am doing, but at the same time, I have something those girls don't have. And when it comes down to it, I am selling myself. I might fit someone else's production of "Guys and Dolls." I know who I am, and SYTYCD and dance team is not my fit. (Though I could totally choreograph it.) But I can rock some Jack Cole and Micheal Kidd. So, for now, I'm going to keep refining me and trying to find that core that will appeal to someone. (Puppet people liked me? Some theatre people will find me soon enough if I just keep auditioning.)
I'm totally killing time in a Starbucks uptown of Times Square waiting for the next audition. This has become my audition diary of sorts. While it is awesome to share with my friends and family, writing it out helps me find peace with things. I'm weird but awesome! Time to rock it out! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're sticking with your roots! I don't like SYTYCD either. It's changed the way people see/think of dancers and not in a good way in my opinion. I'm glad you didn't sell out and go for the SYTYCD style.

    ReplyDelete