Sunday, October 16, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

This past summer I did one last show in Houston, Jesus Christ Superstar with a new company in Houston. It was their second show, and they had a lot to learn. Not my best experience in theatre. Nor my most professional.
I blocked it from my mind until the saga of my paycheck began. They were to wait three weeks to pay us. I got my check six weeks later. My email of inquiry about the yet to appear check at five weks was never answered. As soon as I got it, I sent it right back to my military brat bank. I found out today that it bounced and I was charged fees.
I wasn't the only one to have my check bounce. I prepared my email with help from legal aid's website and sent it off. I kept it professional and to the point.
I had hoped I would never have to deal with bounced checks. Actors have notice boards all across the web about the dreaded bounced check. It's an extra slap after being paid poorly for good work to have a check bounce.
Now I have a template email for any future bounced checks. We are all take jobs just to be working at times, whether we are actors, tax accountants, or delivery guys. But there is a certain amount of respect we all deserve that we won't always get. It's a delicate balance between our pride and our survival. So as much as I would like to be able to work for peanuts and still live reasonably well, I know I can't. If I sign a contract, I stick to it. And an employer should do the same. If you can't do it, don't include it in the contract you wrote.
I might be small and cute, but I am learning more and more to stand up for myself. I am not a carpet to be walked on by anyone. If I don't respect and look out for myself, who else will? R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

No comments:

Post a Comment